Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Blog Reflection #3

So, we compared online library catalogs to Internet searches, pros and cons, and ease of use. I have always felt that online searches via the Internet websites, as a general observation, are just not as accurate to me. I feel that the information can be passed on as word of mouth or just someone's opinion. I do not feel they can be as trusted as a library source.  I must have said it a hundred times, but sites like Wikipedia just ruin it for me. I know that it is a very searched site for information, but knowing it can be edited by the average Joe user, really worries me that misinformation is out there. How do we get people to use another form of information? I think letting people know that an online library website is just as easy to use. You can verify the source, ask a librarian, get the true information. You don't have to leave the comfort of your home to go to the library, if that is someone's main complaint. You can just type in a better search on your computer, in your home, in your pajamas. How easy is that?

I asked my true life source, my teenager, as he is my experiment in getting into the mind of a typical 2.0 tech user of today. He actually already knows that Wikipedia is not a reliable source. He says that having -pedia in the name, makes others think it is a true encyclopedia. He tells me not to worry, that kids are "in the know" and know that "the site is just opinion.." Well, then there may be hope.  He did not know that the library has online access from outside the library. "Thats cool," he says, "I would actually check that out for information if it is really that easy... " Ok, so 1 down, 6 billion to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment