Sunday, February 13, 2011

Project 1: Reference Observation Blog


My library visit was to my neighborhood library, the Los Altos Library in Long Beach. It is a small library that mainly services the local neighborhood. It is very children friendly. I have visited this library since I was a small child and it has not changed much since I was small, with the exception of the online access and computers.
It is a smaller branch in the Long Beach Public library chain. This library does not have a large reference section. The building is one large area divided by the center reference desk. The front half is the children’s section and the back half contains the seating areas, computers and the small reference section, behind that are the adult stacks. There is a side room, which contains computers for classes and is called the family learning area. This is where kids can learn to use computers and adults can share with their children in more of a private area. The reference section is mainly a row of bookcases that contain their selection of reference materials like encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc. I think that their reference section, although it appears small, satisfies this particular library, because it is near Cal State Long Beach, and most of the older students use the CSULB library for more detailed reference needs. The students I saw, as well as myself, only needed what this library had. I was doing a project comparing two types of encyclopedias, general and subject, and thought I would not find anything, but found exactly what I needed. This has always been the case with my experiences here. I seem to always locate exactly what I need, despite the misleading size of the library.
Most of the patrons are either children or older adults, neither really needing reference books nor even help. The other portion of patrons who visit are there to use the online computers. There are several public computers with online access. There is a time limit but you do not have to wait in line, as this area is usually pretty vacant. There are a few computers set up in another area with library online access. You can use their database Encore, which also connects to all the Long Beach Public Libraries. This is helpful when trying to locate a book that this branch does not carry. It shows which other branches have it in stock. There are several other searches available, like Infontrac, a Cengage Learning database, which leads you to Opposing viewpoints, my favorite, or even Proquest like at the LBCC library. You can access all the databases by using your LBPL card. The computers are user friendly and easy to navigate. The Long Beach Public Library has a great online system and is so easy to use from home for online reference. Since this particular library is so small, the majority of reference patrons seem to use the online access instead of visiting the library in person. According to the librarian, patron visits are down, she believes due to their online access.
When you have a question, you are directed to the main librarian on duty. This is not hard, because due to staffing and budget issues, there are only two people on duty, one the librarian and the other a library tech. The librarian is very friendly and very approachable. I think that due to the majority of patrons being children or their parents, she is approached constantly for help. She never seems at all unwilling to help and answers every question as though it is the first time she has heard it, (no eye rolling or sighs or acting like anyone is not intelligent.). She is very clear in her speech and always leads you to the section you need. As a typical librarian, she is extremely knowledgeable and knows exactly where to go to find what you need. (A difference here, versus LBCC, is that she does get the information for you instead of telling you how to find it yourself, but I think that most patrons want it this way.) I think that the librarian is not only a great example of how one should be, but goes out of her way to help. I was approached, pretending to be lost, and she asked if she could help me. She definitely provides excellent customer service. I do not think that anyone felt at all uncomfortable about approaching her for help.
            The strength this library has definitely, its feel; friendly, helpful and organized. Of course it has all the books and information you could need. I did not see too many 2.0 qualities, but did talk to the librarian about some of the things they are working on like a library blog for the children and teens. They are definitely more current than when I was younger and have come along with the times with their computers and current online access. I also think that implementing an online “Ask the librarian” would be helpful for those who do not enter the library, but only use their online tools. I have to say, that after visiting larger libraries and an academic library, something about the feel of this smaller library is more personable and feels more friendly to me. It leaves me feeling that there are librarians who do still care and still want to help educate people. A good model for those of us going into this field.

3 comments:

  1. Your library reminds me of the library I used to go to when I was a kid. It was small and very kid friendly. I always enjoyed going there. I also immediately liked the librarian you described. She's what I picture a librarian to be and she's what I hope to be someday too. I'm glad you had a pleasurable experience, and thanks for bringing back memories of a wonderful childhood filled with books and reading =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description reminds me more of when I lived in Los Angeles and the actual branch library near my apartment there, the Felipe de Neve branch. It was so small that most of the time I was ordering from other branches to get what I needed, the offerings there were limited. Where it shone, as you point out, is the good service, friendliness, and face time that come out of that smaller environment. In that situation, they served as reference, circulation, probably everything come to think about it as there was only one desk. Even though the librarians mainly saw me to pick up and check out items I'd ordered to have sent there, they treated me no less different than if I'd used materials directly from their branch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently live in Long Beach also, but to tell you the truth I have not been to this branch yet. I feel it would be nice to visit it some time. I believe that this branch is similar to the library I visited, since the reference section is so small. I believe that they keep most reference material at their main branch. From the main library then everything can be shipped over to the smaller branches. I really feel that almost any library can accomplish a student’s needs. It is really nice when you find friendly librarians since many of the times they can change your day.

    ReplyDelete