Well, it is the end of week 3, and going well. I have read many other blogs since our start. For this week's blog the question is what have I learned so far? I have learned much about library 2.0, something I had never read about before. The future of the library and how it will stay advanced as technology changes. This is interesting and scary from a point of view as a hopeful library technician. Another lib class forum asked if we felt that changing technology will hurt the librarian. The side note was will we still have a job, will the librarian be replaced, would the changing library make us not want this profession? I have my reasons for believing the library and librarian can not be replaced. The main one being the human interaction with a librarian. You can ask a computer a question, but you will not hear a helpful voice that can walk you over to the section that holds your book. After learning about the advancing library of today from this class, I think that the more familiar we get with the technology, the more valuable we still will be to the newer generations of library users.
I have already learned much from this class. I had already learned some things regarding the reference librarian and reference interviews, but the information is so important, that you can't read it enough. The material I have read in this class seems more interesting and reinforces what I have already learned from some of my classes in the library tech program. I like all of the information as it really does apply to what we will be doing in this field. Not actually working in this field, sometimes the information I have read can seem overwhelming, as I can not put it into use, but I have gone back to the library and noticed things from our readings. How others approach the librarian, how helpful a librarian is and what patrons are looking for in a library as well as in a librarian. Feedback from our classmates who do work in a library setting is also really helpful, as they can put it into real life and give their opinion on what does or does not work.
I think the blog and the open discussion forum as well as our teacher's teachings, have really helped me with this class and understanding the information. I originally had thought that I would not get much out of the blog forum, but this way to "self reflect" and read others ideas and thoughts really is working for me. Funny that I had not actually gotten into this 2.0 technology myself and really doubted it until I tried it. The blog is the first new thing I have opened up to in a long time and it really works for me. It is a great way to get me to really think about what I think about.
I agree that the librarian cannot be replaced. You gave a great point of view that human interaction is more valuable than info that a computer would spit at you. You also mentioned about becoming more familiar with technology as it grow. This is exactly why librarians will not be replaced because librarians will be the ones who master the technology and patrons will need a librarian to interpret the information.
ReplyDeleteGREAT POST!
Excellent blog post! Very well done. I love how you reflected on your other librarian technician courses, this course, and your personal experiences and concerns you might have. I do not believe the librarian can be replaced, certainly not in our lifetime... not until artificial intelligence is something actualized that can pick up on all the body language and perceptions we read in a person on a daily basis. Glad you are opening up to the idea of blogs. This is one thing I truly love about this class, the ability to see how students can share a connection through the course material and activities. Keep up the great work!
ReplyDelete