Over the past few weeks we have learned many tools to help search for reference information, mainly online. The amount of resources seems limitless. Originally the amount of information can seem overwhelming as it is unfamiliar. Given the tools and the knowledge of where to look for these resources has done us a world of good. I took on the challenge of finding information, not just the sites recommended, but for our exercises, we needed to answer difficult questions using only reference resources. Sounds easy? Not so much, at first. I never had the urge to simply “google it” to find the answers. The exercises asked us to search for valid information by using certain sources. Having now completed the exercises, the tasks become almost as easy as using a google search, only now the information is 100% accurate. When you know where to look or how to navigate, you can find information fairly quickly...this does take some practice. The payoff with a little digging is that you find your answer. It is from a trusted source and is reliable enough to state as fact. Very important in our field. Now I know that I will never be tempted to just quickly google something. (You can get different answers with every search...Takes more time to verify than it is worth.) I really liked the treasure hunt of the fact finding. I discovered several sites with tools for reference I have bookmarked for future use. Call me a nerd, but I really learned valuable tools that I will continue using. We were given sites that were fascinating to me and I spent much more time reading further, than just what I needed for the assignments. New information always seems to fascinate me, as there is so much I do not know. I found sites with information that interest me and that always keeps me reading for more.
I have learned so much this far and have gained really great tools that will help me in the future. This was no easy task as I have poured through books and looked at multiple sites without finding whatever information I was looking for at the time. I felt like I needed a library class to help me take a library class! I will take the information now, no matter how far along in my classes I am, because it will only help me find information in any situation or field. I am honestly excited about all of the information we have learned to use... J
The internet is so full of information that it can be so overwhelming. The internet is so full of information even though much of the information found there can be the same from site to site. I truly feel that finding correct information online can be easy only if you learn how to efficiently check editors and others credentials. This class has also opened many new resources for all of us since we have been introduced to unknown sites, well at-least I have.
ReplyDeleteI too have to resist the urge to google it. Getting to know what resources are reliable and the how to navigate to the information makes not relying on google easier and the exercises/homework help.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, thank you for the kinds words you said in my post. Even though at the present time I am not working in a library, I will always continue to support the libraries near my home. PLus it really feels good to have a job and feel wanted again. I really think that when we learn about doing research may it be for a library class, history class, or marketing class you can always learn something more. Keep up the good work Michele.
ReplyDelete